Monday, October 23, 2006

Day 3, October 20: Workout and Food Diary

Day 3 on the journey. Here is what I did and what I ate.

Workout:
15 minute interval training session on the stationary bike.
30 minute Boot Camp
Unless otherwise stated, each exercise was done with 3 sets of 15 repetitions.

  • Spine Extensions, Hip Extensions, Walk out pushups all on stability ball.
  • Russian Twists focusing on dynamic flexibility, pullovers and crunches (center, right and left) on the stability ball with 10-pound medicine ball.
  • Alternating DB flys, nosebreakers, bent-over alternating DB rows and bicep curls with 15-pound DBs.
  • Roll-ins.
  • Regular planks – 3 sets of 30 seconds, obliques on ball.
  • Walking lunges (no twist or overhead press and no medicine ball – still can't do them) down and back, three times. One trip about 20 yards.
  • Ball balance on stability ball – 3 sets, 30 seconds each.

Cool down: Golf-specific stretch focusing on hips, hamstrings, shoulders, chest and torso – about 10 minutes.

Comments:
The interval training on the bike felt better today than Wednesday. After about 2 minutes of warm-up, I went straight to 1 minute intervals, alternating between 100 rpm and 120 rpm. Since I felt pretty good, over the last 3 minutes, the higher intensity intervals were at 130 rpm. Overall, this was a solid 7 on the 0-10 scale but the last 3 intervals it was a 9!

This was my third Boot Camp since coming back. It was the shortest one yet, 30 minutes was all I could squeeze in. But I knew that going in so I really moved during the entire session. My neck and shoulder felt good this morning so I decided to keep the roll-ins today. We’ll see what happens tomorrow. My hamstrings weren’t as sore as I thought they would be which helped me push a little harder. Because I was pushing it, this was at least a 9 on the 0-10 scale.

Food Diary
Breakfast, 5:15 AM: No breakfast, running late!
Snack, 9:30 AM:Starving and nothing with me because I was running late! Go to the grocery store and grab 2 Lara bars (Cashew) and a diet coke. I wolfed them down like there was no tomorrow!
Lunch, 12:00 PM: Grilled chicken Caeser salad. .
Snack, 3:00 PM: Power Crunch bar - chocolate
Dinner, 6:00 PM: Chicken fajitas with salsa, jalapenos and avocado.
Snack, 9:00 PM: No snack tonight, too much for dinner.

Fluids: Throughout the day, about 3.5 L of water. One cup of green tea and 1 diet coke. Two frozen margaritas with salt at dinner.

That’s day three, your thoughts????

PHOTOS
The photos below show the beginning and ending position photos for Roll-ins. This is an excellent exercise that promotes core strength and stability while improving strength of the shoulder girdle and increasing balance.

To make this exercise more difficult, try one of these two alternatives. First, when performing the movement phase, rather than bringing your knees toward your shoulders, bring your right knee toward your left shoulder and then do the opposite on the next repetition. Second, you can try doing this with one leg. Simply lift one leg off the stability ball and do the work with the other leg. Caution: I’ve seen only PGA players do it this way
!




The boot camp workouts listed above are available in The BKS Golf Fitness Boot Camp TM. It has 24 different workouts like the one listed above. You too can get in better shape, feel better and (most importantly), play better golf by purchasing a copy of The BKS Golf Fitness Boot Camp TM. To see how your game will improve, read testimonials, endorsements, and to get started today – go here!

No comments: